Campaign of the Month: January 2012
Star Trek Late Night
The Ferengi are not known for being physical, which is why this Ferengi sport is so unusual. Schnel’nik is a team sport with five players per team. One player is designated the Nik (Runner). He is the only player allowed to touch the ball. The other four players are the Fraks. They are the strength of each team and must act as the Schnel (Guardians) for the Nik. The game is played on a mound 70 m in diameter and 30 m high at its peak. At the top of the mound is a net-like basket (almost identical to Terran basketball except without a backboard) on a pole. The goal of the game is for the runner to get the ball through the net. The runners are allowed to grab, push, shove, and throw each other in their attempts to get the ball up the hill and through the basket. The guardians may only shove, push, and bullrush other players. The game is played in 10 minute quarters.
- 20 points scored for throwing the ball into the net
- 10 points scored for hand delivering ball to the net
- 1 point scored for knocking the opposing Nik out-of-bounds
- Teams may give up 2 points for a 60-second timeout
- Injured players may be replaced at a cost of 5 points
- Exhausted players may be traded out at a cost of 1 point
Players start the game spread around the base of the hill. Teams bid for first ball by starting the game with negative points. Regardless of whether a team gets the ball or not, both teams start at the negative points they bid.