Campaign of the Month: January 2012
Star Trek Late Night
Adult Luxans range from 1.9 to 2.3 meters in height and from 80 to 140 kilograms. Their skin varies from a pale tan-pink to a medium brown. The very top of their head is bald, but the sides of the head possess long hair, usually brown in color, and worn in braids; males also grow hair over their upper lip. Luxan hair fades and greys with age. A solid carapace covers their nose, helping to protect their sensitive olfactory senses. Luxan heads are lined with tentacles they call ‘tenkas’: six long tenkas hang off the back of their head, and males possess up to six additional (smaller) tenkas on their chin. They often decorate their tenkas with metal rings, tattoos, or leather straps. Luxans have a long prehensile tongue that carries a potent neurotoxin.
Background: Known as a warrior race, Luxans have been at war with one species or another for almost their entire recorded history. Despite this background, some Luxans prefer to reside in small farming colonies or depart from the standard warrior training and enter other professions.
Luxans place a high emphasis on personal honor, especially among warriors. Their code extends outside their race, which gives them a good reputation among other species. They revere ancestors and their deeds, often passing items belonging to a famous hero for many generations. They are also a very spiritual race and have special priests, called Orican, for whom they show great reverence.
Personality: Luxans are often gruff and seemingly cold. While quick to anger, they are also capable of other strong emotions. Outside of their own species, they bestow trust only grudgingly, but those who earn their friendship rarely lose it. Within their own species, or with their cousin race the Ilanics, trust comes automatically unless something occurs to break it.
- Fitness 3(6)
- Strength +1
- Vitality +1
- Coordination 2(5)
- Intellect 2(5)
- Presence 2(5)
- Empathy -1
- Willpower +1
- Psi 0(5)
- Force 0(5)
- Essence 0(5)
- Culture: Luxan 2(3)
- History: Luxan 1(2)
- World Knowledge: Luxan Homeworld 1(2)
- Athletics 1(2)
- Unarmed Combat 1(2)
- Weapon: Guns (Qualta Blade) 1(2)
- Weapon: Sword (Qualta Blade) 1(2)
- Language: Luxan (Fluent/R/W) (+4)
- Organ Redundancy (+2)
- Tongue Sting (+3)
- The Luxan makes an Unarmed Combat (Tongue Sting) attack. If successful, the target must make a Difficult (13) Fitness + Vitality Test or be knocked unconscious for 1d6 rounds. (The Narrator may choose to make the period of unconsciousness longer (2d6 minutes) in a non-combat situation, provided it fits the dramatic purposes of the story.) The Luxan must be within two meters of the target in order to use his Tongue Sting, and the attack cannot puncture more points of armor than the Luxan has Fitness.
- Vacuum Resistance (+2)
- Luxans are exceptionally hardy and can survive in the open vacuum of space for brief periods (they still require an air supply). While in space, the Luxan suffers -1 die penalty to all rolls but does not suffer damage for the first 5 minutes. After each additional minute, the Luxan must make a Challenging (10) Fitness + Vitality test or suffer a Wound Level (all negative effects are cumulative).
- Hyper-Rage (Battle Rage) (-2)
- Male Luxans are prone to an exceptionally violent state known as hyper-rage, usually directed towards other bipedal males. Hyper-rage is a remnant from the pre-sapient Luxans, who traveled in packs ruled by a dominant alpha male. Modern Luxans can usually keep hyper-rage in check… unless angry or annoyed, which can result in a lengthy rage lasting several days (Narrator’s discretion).
- Code of Honor: Luxan (-4)
- Superstitious (-1)
Though remarkably strong, Luxans are oddly vulnerable to taking damage in combat. If a Luxan takes a wound that results in bleeding, he must make a Challenging (10) Fitness + Vitality Test. If failed, the character suffers blood poisoning (his blood runs black), and he will lose 1 point of health per round until he sustains at least 5 points of real or stun damage to the wound, causing the blood to run clear.
The traditional weapon of the Luxan warriors, a Qualta blade has two forms: a heavy sword, which Luxans wield with terrible ferocity, or a powerful blaster rifle, hidden within the sword’s blade. It takes one action to convert the rifle into a sword and vise versa.
- Damage (Sword): 5+2d6
- Damage (Rifle): 24+7d6, plus additional 6+1d6 in 2m radius
- Range (Rifle): 5/20/50/100
- Standard Cost: 800 currency pledges, Luxans consider the weapons part of their culture and dislike other species wielding it; non-Luxans therefore may have to pay double or even triple the listed cost.